Today I sat down with a baseball team and we talked about "taking out the trash". You know, the kind of trash that stinks, builds up quickly, and doesn't just "magically" disappear. I'm talking about the trash that we fill our minds with! More specifically, I'm talking about the thoughts we have that are detrimental to our performance such as:
- "what if I mess up?"
- "what does coach or my boss think of my performance?"
- "I'm not good anymore"
- "I would be playing better if I had a better coach"
- "James is better than me"
- "I just don't have it today"
So how do you get rid of "stinking thinking"? After you have become aware of the trash, you need to take it out by replacing it with performance enhancing thoughts such as:
- memories of success in the past
- your motivation for playing your respective sport
- positive self talk (we'll discuss this in another post)